Professional Dental Cleaning
Dentist in Sidney is committed to integrity in dentistry. That means that we aim to offer you only the best, and only what you need. Part of our program for you involves dental cleaning. After all, prevention is better than the cure. It’s much more cost-effective and fun to get a cleaning than to fill a cavity or get a root canal.
Professional dental cleaning treatments are one of the most effective ways to prevent and treat periodontal disease, maintain optimal tooth health and cultivate a bright, white smile. More than that, by examining your gums and tissue, your hygienist can spot health issues that are present in your body that you may be unaware of.
For example, temporary swelling or bleeding is common when you have a cold or are under severe stress. The health of your teeth and gums can have a profound impact on general health. This is because the roots of your teeth care are located near your sinus and brain cavities. An infection in a tooth can lead to serious health consequences as a result.
Regularly scheduled cleaning with your dental hygienist will ensure that your natural teeth are well-maintained, and will last for as long as possible. Dentist in Sidney is committed to giving you the best treatment and dental hygiene available.
What to Expect
Dental cleaning starts with an examination of your teeth. During the exam, we will look for any signs of damage, cavities, or decay. Your teeth are then cleaned to remove any plaque and tartar buildup. We will offer you the option for a fluoride treatment to strengthen your enamel. You can also choose to have us apply polish to bring out the best in your smile. At this time, we also welcome any questions you may have about your oral health.
There is no need to fear. We will do our best to ensure that you are as comfortable as possible and can even apply a topical anesthetic before cleaning to help you. Don’t postpone a cleaning out of fear. Regular cleaning will mean less invasive dental work in future.
A Typical Cleaning
A typical cleaning takes between thirty minutes to an hour and is performed while you’re lying down in a dental chair. A professional cleaning will involve some or all of the following:
• Tartar Removal: Even with regular flossing and brushing, tartar–mineralized plaque–will accumulate on your teeth in hard to reach places. Because of the strength of tartar, it can only be removed with pressurized water, and fine hand tools like dental scalers.
• Visual Exam: A thorough examination of the tongue, throat, face, neck, and head is another important part of a dental cleaning visit. This part of the examination looks for redness, inflammation, or tissue changes indicative of cancer.
• Fluoride Treatment: Fluoride applications are used to strengthen your tooth enamel and may be applied using a foam, gel, or a liquid form.
• Periodontal Health Evaluation: At each cleaning, we will check for signs of gingivitis or gum disease by measuring the depth of your gum pockets, checking for bleeding. To examine gum health, we use a special tool that measures how deep the space is between your gums and teeth. Healthy gums have shallower depths.
• Occlusion Check: Over time, your teeth move, and this can affect the way your bite functions. As a result this affects how you chew and swallow. If this shifting is severe, and your bite is not functioning correctly, we will refer you to an orthodontist for treatment.
• Teeth Polishing: Your teeth will shine and return to their original smoothness following a polishing in our office using a slow-speed hand-piece.
• Denture Care: For patients that currently have dentures, we will clean and adjust them for you.
• Oral Hygiene Education: Best practices of tooth brushing and flossing may be reviewed and demonstrated.
• Diet/Nutrition Counseling: When necessary we will discuss with you any substances (such as tobacco or drugs) that could be affecting the health of your teeth and gums. We will also discuss your current nutrition habits to ensure you are doing all you can to keep your teeth as healthy as possible.
After receiving cleaning services, it is important that you maintain a good oral hygiene program including diet awareness, flossing, and proper brushing. We will recommend a schedule for your cleanings in order to ensure that you have optimal oral care and a preventive program in place.
Very through with cleaning. Was not pushy with dentistry and I felt that I got the best treatment available. Love my new crowns.
If you are a new patient, Dr. Majeed will then meet with you to discuss any issues that have arisen and recommend solutions for your dental health. At this time, he may also recommend an x-ray of your teeth in order to better advise you.
Book your dental cleaning appointment today by giving us a call at (250) 656-9321 or use our form here: Request an Appointment